Wednesday, February 08, 2006

toy story...

15 or so years ago, had you asked me if i can see myself as what and how i am right now, with all that i have amassed; be they material or intangible postulates... i would'a said, no. but then again, i guess none so young would conceive of it. that an older version of themselves existed somewhere in time... bigger, older, but not necessarily wiser. i wasn't exactly the type of kid who'd think far off into the future and plot my way to whatever i wanted to be... and from what my parents tell me, when i was way younger, i said i wanted to be a pilot... now, that's a good one! me... a pilot?! hahaha! the COCKpit area would definitely be a restricted area for everybody, if ya know what i mean. hehehe! don't you just miss those good ol' days? when you could care less about the world and run around in your undies... and the world could care less about you. when all you'd have are your toys and they're the only reprieve that you'd need. because right now, reprieve comes in a lot more ways than there are coffee shops in your area. yeah, toys... they used to be all that mattered to me. everytime i'd get a shot from the doctor, i'd be given a toy... every visit to the dentist equals a toy (or two)... every icky-tasting, funky-smelling, chinese or western medicine is compensated for by a toy. and sometimes, it didn't even matter what kind of toy my mom would get me... toy cars, action figures, puzzles, battery-powered turtles, fish pond sets, and whatnot... i can easily be swayed with the promise of a toy. and man! i love toys! (present tense, 'cause i still go out once in a while to indulge in a toy kingdom nearest me) it'd be my utmost delight whenever i get a new toy... i can never be separated from it. i'd even place it (new toy) back neatly in it's box/packaging after the first time i play with it and just as neatly store it away. here's another word for me when i was a kid... curious. i've heard it a few times before when i started grade school until i finally asked my teacher what it meant... of course, you would to if people would be saying that about you... for all i know, they may be calling me the anti-christ or somethin'. as a curious kid who has lots of toys, i can get pretty handy with a little screwdriver when i really want to... there's just something about battery-powered devices that piques my brain and gets me cracking... cracking the toys is more like it. i'd pry remote controlled cars and model trains open just to see what makes 'em tick... which, later i found out were devices called, dynamos. and my interest would temporarily be sated... i have my dynamo... and a broken toy. a toy that i may or may not have gotten as a reward for being an obedient li'l boy... a toy that allegedly meant a great deal to me... as for any kid... a toy that held dear and treasured. simply put, i was a kid who had a habit of breaking my own toys... and now, i am a young man who tends to break what he holds dear the most. they say, history repeats itself... it does.

No comments: